Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!


It's another Hallmark Holiday. Yes, I suppose it shouldn't take a day in May to show your mom how much she is appreciated, but so what? It's been around as long as I can remember and it was started with good intentions. I can remember as a child making cards with lots and lots of hearts, surrounding the word "mom." It made me feel good to be able to make my mom smile (that's mom and dad last Christmas in the photo).

I remember asking her "What do you want for Mother's Day (or birthday, or Christmas...)?" She always replied, "Nothing, honey, just you!" I remember thinking that it was a lame answer...I wanted to BUY her something pretty!

As a "seasoned" mother (with lots more challenges to come, I'm sure!), I now totally understand why she gave that answer -- I really don't need a "thing" from my kids to make me happy. Having the opportunity to watch them grow, face new situations, help them through their struggles, share in their joy -- that's what makes me happy! When my son wants to move back home because he feels loved here, when my oldest daughter out-of-the-blue tells me I'm her best friend, or when my youngest daughter shares with me how happy she is because she has her first boyfriend...these are the things that lift me up. Being a mom is the most rewarding and heartbreaking job of all time. But my kids were given to me for a reason, and I don't take that reason lightly.

So, cheers to all the wonderful, awesome, incredible moms out there! I wish my mom were here to celebrate, but that will come in July. And really? Does it matter when, as long as it happens? Already this morning my day has been brightened by my kids: sleeping in, homemade breakfast, a beautiful silver necklace with a "mom" and heart charm, a late lunch at Ted's (um, that's my kids' favorite restaurant...), and the new Star Trek movie. What more can I ask for...I have it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment