Thursday, May 14, 2009

Letting Go

Today my son finished his last exam, and he said he "stormed it." He was in a great mood, so I assume "storming" a test means he did well. I am so happy for him -- his freshman year started out very rocky, but he seems to have gotten a handle on his life and he is now officially a sophmore.

I ask him what he plans to do with his summer (hello...? don't kids need jobs anymore?), and he tells me he is off to go camping. Immediately. Right now at 8:30 pm. Huh. From what I understand, a bunch of guys are driving up into the Rocky Mountains to camp for several days. Not at an official campground, mind you. At "a really cool, secluded area by a lake that we found last summer."

So, he's ready to go: sneakers, jeans, t-shirt, BB rifle, and sleeping bag. It is only mid-May, and the temperature at night is barely out of the 30's here in Denver. So I ask him, "honey, do you have a hoodie?" "Oh, right!" and he runs downstairs to get one. My mind is racing like a hamster wheel and the last thing I want to do is spoil his fun. But...I am a MOM, and I can't help but think of accidents, bears, foolish behavior, etc. But...he is 19, and he has made it so far, overcoming (on his own) incredible obstacles.

So, I hugged him, told him to be careful and have fun, and to please call or text me when he was on his way home. I really like his group of friends and I have to trust that all will be well and he'll return home safe and sound.

Did I mention that he doesn't receive cell service in the mountains? Breathe...breathe...

No comments:

Post a Comment