Monday, December 28, 2009

The After Christmas "Ahhh's..."



What a lovely Christmas! In fact, I haven't had such a nice Christmas in quite a while. I usually do too much, buy too much, decorate too much, so much of everything that I never end up enjoying Christmas for what it is. This year, things were different...

I am blessed to have a job where I can take the entire 2-week "winter break" off with my kids (winter break vs. Christmas? a whole different subject...) That is when my craziness usually begins. This year, I did most of my shopping early. In years before, I organized a Christmas Potluck Luncheon for my Staff and Board on the day after the last Christmas Program. That also meant I had to get to school early and decorate and then clean up afterwards. This year, I asked a Board member to take charge of the luncheon and she organized the entire event...yea! Instead of hauling all our Christmas boxes out, I only put out the decorations that I truly love. Last year I baked and baked and baked. This year? Just a few of our favorites! And this year I pulled the Christmas CD's that I really love, not the whole "kit-and-kaboodle." Did I worry about if my kids got all they wanted? Nope...I gave them a few wants and needs and they were thrilled.

On Christmas Eve we drove up to my parents' home and celebrated with family and friends. The meal was delicious, the opening of gifts fun, and then we all went to the candlelight service at their church. The late-night drive home was filled with reminiscing of past Christmases and laughter. At home Santa had left everyone new PJ's. I can't remember which one of my daughters it was, but one of them asked me this summer if they still getting PJ's on Christmas Eve. I think they thought they might be getting too old...never, it's tradition! The next morning I woke up early, made our special Christmas morning breakfast, stuffed the stockings, and spent a few precious moments with my thoughts before the kids got up. And it doesn't matter how old they get, there is still genuine excitement in their faces and voices at seeing the gifts and smelling their favorite "breakfast pizza."

As I was cleaning the kitchen I heard my kids talk with each other about when they will one day bring their kids to grandma's house for Christmas, and it took me a moment to realize they were talking about ME as a grandma! I am far from that kind of thinking, but it's nice to know that I am included in their future plans. During Christmas Day at different times, all three of my kids came to me to thank me for making their Christmas so special. The genuine sincerity, the hugs, the smiles...that was all and more than I could ever want. I know our holidays together are numbered, so I want to savor each one.

And now? Three days after Christmas? I'm relaxed, decorations put away (I am not one for having things hang around and wear out their stay!), house is clean, and I've still got almost a week left to enjoy my time off. Starting with having lunch tomorrow with a close friend. After all, there is a limit to hanging out with teenagers...and I've hit it!

4 comments:

  1. OMG, your blog looks so cute! This post made me a little jealous of how relaxed everything was for you and then I remembered that I've been sleeping in past 9am everyday :) Can't wait to have lunch with my close friend tomorrow too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog decor!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Grandma? Really? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg, you're a superstar. I didn't know we were having lunch together tomorrow. :P

    ReplyDelete