Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Another New Year to Resolute!


Ahhh, New Years! A time to reflect, make lists and promises, turn over a new leaf...begin anew! Since I am a self-proclaimed, avid list-maker, I can't remember when I didn't make a New Year's resolution list. A few years ago I began to notice that the people that I truly admire, okay...want to be like, never made lists or resolutions. At all. When I asked why, the answer was simple and pure -- "if there is something I think I need to work on, I'll just do it." Ohhh, the simplicity of it all! In my mind, that's where I want to be! I sometimes think I make things so complicated and messy that there is no way I can complete anything on my "to do for myself" list. And let's face it, it also gives me a thousand and one reasons to rationalize my failings.

So, after some pre-New Year's reflection, I've decided I want to keep my resolutions simple and pure. INNER PEACE. That's it. And I don't want to come off as sounding "all zen-like and mysterious," because I am so not. And for those who know me...please keep the laughter down, thankyouverymuch! However, my thinking is this: if I only have inner peace to work on, won't all the other stuff naturally fall into place...eventually?

Stay with me on this. I know I'm rambling, but in this case I think it might be worth it. If I can truly become comfortable with myself and who I am, then I can comfortably assess all the clutter in my life. Such as:

  • My faith. I am a Christian, but I don't always practice my faith. There are people whom I envy (see?...there's another thing to work on!) who are so comfortable in their faith and who they are.
  • Healthy food choices and exercise. Always, always...'nuf said.
  • My finances. I know I need a budget, a plan, and a plan-for-the-future. Because the whole "waiting for a rich guy to propose" is not working out.
  • My grumpy attitude. When it rears its ugly head, let me tell you, the masses run. I want to be able to not just control it, but make it go away all-together.
  • My procrastination issues. Why do I always seem to leave things to the very last minute? I admit, at times it works for me, but mostly I end up wanting to slap my head like Chris Farley and yell "stupid, stupid, stupid!"

Now, I would be remiss if I didn't list the things in my life that ARE working well, and I am so blessed and grateful for all of them:

  • My children. I would never paint them as perfect, but to me, they are my perfections! They all have their different paths in life, and I love each one for that. My relationship with them is loving, unique, and special.
  • My family. We are a small bunch, but woven very tightly.
  • My friends. They love and accept me for who I am. I think I would be lost without them. Seriously, I do.
  • My house. I know, I know, we shouldn't put worth into inanimate objects, but for me my house is my sanctuary. It's the place I picked after my divorce, decorated it just the way I wanted to, and where all my loved ones sleep every night. It's my haven.
  • My job. I love it...it gives me energy, purpose, meaning, and flexibility. How many people can say that they really, really, love their job?
I am going to stop here because I have 5 things to work on and 5 things that are going exceptionally well, and I like when things come out even. So, one thing to work on. That's it. Just one.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

10 comments:

  1. I think inner peace sounds like the best resolution for anyone to make!
    Stopped by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I can't believe how much alike we are. Teachers, moms with teens, small comfort zone and all 5 blessings you are grateful for. Thanks for the comment on my blog by the way and Happy Sits Day. I'm back off to your blog to read some more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you with your awesome banner and all! Lookin' so purty! When you achieve inner peace will you pass some along to me? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! I think it's a great resolution :-)


    *from SITS :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inner peace is a perfect one to work on! I've just recently cut my lists back to just a handful...hopefully by next year I'll just do one that would lead to others like you???

    Happy SITS Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I left something for you over at my blog - check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy SITS S'day: I love your list of to do's PLUS a list of what is going well! I think that really helps keep a positive outlook in our lives in which we are always growing and changing! I'm really, really on a health kick and so far so good with some of the recipes that I've posted. Exercise regime changes begain also. Happy 2010! You've got a great blog! Roz

    ReplyDelete
  8. :) Visiting from SITS.
    Those look like some great goals/ resolutions.
    You should keep posting too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great list! Just stopping by from SITS to say Hello.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete