Sunday, January 10, 2010

Bonding or Stupidity...You Be The Judge!

I have three wonderful kids.  Seriously, they rock my world.  But do I want to be friends with them and hang out with them and their friends?  Heavens, no!  But something happened yesterday that might make you think I would want to be one of them.

It started when my oldest daughter was 6 (she is now almost 17).  She wanted to get her ears pierced.  I had to wait until I was 13 and was the last of my friends to get it done, so I agreed.  My younger daughter had hers pierced the following year when she turned 6 (right, she's 15 now).  And they were happy.  They went through the "Claire's" stage where they would spend their birthday money on cheap, hideous earrings, the "skull" stage, the "girly" stage, and for a while, the "nothing" stage (or maybe they were just too lazy to put earrings in).

The "other" piercings then became popular.  I am still not exactly sure what a "gauge" is, but it sounds horrible!  Belly piercings were a fad, but neither girl wanted one.  The eyebrow piercings were talked about, and I said "NO WAY!"  In fact, I was vehemently against any other kind of piercing other than in the ears.  "Well," my girls pointed out, "you have three holes in one ear!"  *Sigh*  Yes, yes I do.  But I have to say, I now only put a double in, and have left the third one alone since college.  I remember in high school piercing the holes myself (with an ice-cube to numb the pain). 

So, both girls got their ears double-pierced, and I was "ok" with their decision.  Soon after, Kelly asked about a nose piercing.  Of course I said no.  But then something happened...my son introduced me to his girlfriend, who had her nose pierced.  And it was totally cute!  I still said no to my girls, but it didn't sound as harsh as it once did.  Now I can't even remember when it happened, but one day I came home and Kelly had pierced her own nose...and it was also totally cute!  Not long after that, Emily had her cartilage pierced.  And I have to admit, she really does wear it well.  Just for your imaging purposes...both my girls are very girly and feminine and wear somewhat conservative, or "preppy" clothes (no punk, black, or emo).

Last fall when I asked the kids to start to think about what they wanted for Christmas, Emily's only wish was a nose piercing.  She never changed her mind or backed down.  So I gave her a coupon good for one nose pierce.  We went yesterday...me, Emily, and her best friend (who has her nose pierced).  I have never in my life been in a tattoo parlor (store? place? hole-in-the-wall?), and I admit, I was a little taken aback.  Where I live, you hardly ever run into someone with a tattoo, much less a full-body tattoo!  But the "piercer", Mike, was very nice and explained everything.  And, yes, everything was sterile and he used gloves.


Emily's piercing looked so darn cute, and she, her bff, and our new friend Mike, were all pressuring me...and I caved.  I now have a tiny, tiny, adorable diamond stud in my nose!  If you squint real hard, you can see a teeny "glint" in my picture.  It didn't hurt then, doesn't hurt now.  I really like it, but am wondering just what the heck I was thinking?!  Did I take advantage of the "bonding" between me and my daughter?  Or am I just an idiot?  Doesn't matter, because it's totally cute!





Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. Look at you with your cute signature and all! I don't even know how to do that - I need a Kelly :( Okay, I can't see the stud in the pic but I will tomorrow! FYI - I don't think it was crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote crazy ;) but first, you should know I'm horrified of needles. I had my ears pierced in March and made the boyfriend drive home because I was semi-passing out from the adrenaline. Therefore, it's probably cute for you but crazy for me (because, frankly, who would want to put anyone else through that torture?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is "cute" the new term for midlife crisis?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never say never I guess! haha.

    Stopping by from SITS

    ReplyDelete
  5. THanks so much for you sweet comment... (you'll have to fill me in on the Swedish bit... - we are about 1/2 hour from the border.

    I think it looks totally cute.. would I have the guts to do it? Probably not... lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so brave!:) Stopping by from SITS.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping over from SITS -


    I think it was definitely a bonding experience!!! Something to laugh about down the road!

    (I have my nose pierced, it's all that's left of my crazy youth, and I have no intentions of ever taking it out. My daughter is 5 and already wants one HAHA!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I wouldn't do it but...hey if that's what you wanted, why not? It's not like you can't change your mind later and if it was fun then again, why not?
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, stopping by from SITS. It looks great on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Shih Tzu is adorable. I'm not a good person to ask about body piercing - I'm vehemently opposed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My nose is pierced and I'm 37. Had it done about 6 years ago. It's tiny and barely noticable. My daughter who is almost 4 has been asking about it and says she wants one too. Yikes! She's going to have to wait a long time and it probably won't be "cool" by the time I'd let her do it.

    So no, I don't think you're an idiot. You're a cool mom!

    Stopped by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My 15 yo has a nose ring- tiny like yours and it is cute, but the thought of piercing mine is too painful and gross to consider. :)

    ReplyDelete