Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I *heart* Valentines Day!

I love Valentines Day, I really do!  And I know it's not for several weeks, but it just makes me smile to know that it is coming.  I love buying all the red and pink foiled-wrapped chocolates and candies and putting them in treat bags printed with cupids or hearts.  This year I bought my daughters each a little red leather coin purse, stitched with hearts.  Inside I'll tuck either a $20 bill or maybe a gift card to Chipotle.  As for my son, I'm sure an almost 20-year old guy would not appreciate a coin purse, so maybe just money or gift cards.

I'm a preschool director. That means parties...lots and lots of parties.  We celebrate the first day of school to end up the year with a big Spring Picnic, and every holiday and birthday in-between.  Kids love to celebrate, and really, what's not to celebrate?

I don't know when I started loving Valentine's Day...I think it slowly evolved.  To me, it's the day when kids can say "I like you" to their friends without feeling kinda funny.  Watching the children put their cards (Batman, Barbie, Sponge Bob, Scooby Doo, Strawberry Shortcake...) that they so carefully wrote their names on in the vastly decorated boxes, sometimes with a lollipop or a pack of Smarties taped on it...priceless.  And when a little boy shyly walks into my office with a red or pink flower (rose, carnation, even spray-painted daisy) and hands it to me, my heart melts.

So, enjoy your Valentines Day!  Whether you spend it with a honey, a friend, your kids, a bunch of girlfriends, in a preschool, or even by yourself, know that this special day was created for love and friendship.  And the best part?  Chocolate on Valentines Day has NO sugar or calories...so ENJOY!



 


XOXO,


Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. I too love all things holiday. I always make sure to do some little something for my kids. Valentine's is fun for me because there is no real build up, no pressure to decorate, nothing that requires a ton of effort right after coming off all the fall and winter holidays.

    Dropping by from SITS. Have a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think is the little things like cards that make it fun. Stopping by from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear that chocolate has no calories on Valentine's Day! Whoo hoo :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how sweet!! I am stopping by from SITS hope you have a wonderful day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post!!! I love Valentine's Day too!! I think your job sounds fantastic and believe that Valentine's Day IS such a beautiful day because children get to express all that amazing love they are born with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Visiting from SITS. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The little red purses are a great idea. My 'children' are 29 and 25, but I still send them and their spouses a card with a twenty and tell them lunch is on me! Now I need to decide what to send my grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you—I love every holiday, big or small. I do miss the days where I could pass out puppy or Barbie valentines to my classmates!

    ReplyDelete