Friday, January 15, 2010

Dinner Companions...

After an afternoon of shopping with my daughters (the Old Navy store by us is closing, and so we HAD to go) we stopped at Parkway Grill for dinner.  Always packed, always noisy, and always delicious food.  As the girls chit chatted, I sat back and relaxed, half-listening and observing my surroundings.  I almost felt like I was on the outside looking in...watching a movie...a very surreal feeling.

In walked two women, arms linked.  These were old women, in their 80's at least.  They were beautiful -- their hair was coiffed, impeccably dressed, wore their bling well,  nails done, the works.  Yet not overly done, almost understated.  They were seated a few tables away from us.  I had the side view of one woman, but I had a complete view of the other.  Her hair was the color of the purest white and cut in a simple pageboy style.  I imagined her name to be something vintage, like Virginia or Margaret or Rose.  They ordered white wine and it was a while before they ordered their meals.  Instead, they talked and laughed as older women tend to do, with one hand against their breastbone, the other hand sometimes waving in agreement or nonsense.

Every once in a while the one lady (oh, and she was!) and I would make eye-contact.  She would give me a slight smile, never breaking the beat with her friend.  And it struck me...I was looking at myself forty or so years from now.  I didn't have to imagine it...I could feel it!  And what a wonderful feeling it was!  To spend time with a bosum buddy (as Anne Shirley would say) and reminisce over good wine about "old times" -- what could be better?

Now, here is the best part about this saga...their meal came.  What do you think?  Dainty salads?  A bowl of soup?  Here we go...they shared the Macho Nacho Plate!!!!!  This plate of nachos is so huge, it's almost obscene!  AND THEY ATE THE WHOLE THING!!!!  No kidding!  It was awesome!  Can you just picture it?

And if you think I was stalking them, no worries there.  My daughters and I had a delightful time together.  They were thrilled to be finished with finals and we talked about what we were going to do this weekend.  As we stood to leave, I glanced over at the two women.  My "friend" looked up and I smiled and nodded, silently thanking her for letting me into her world, albeit briefly.  I received a smile in return, a genuine smile, a smile that reached her eyes.  Could it be that in some way me and my daughters reminded her of a time past?  I'll never know, but I know I'll never forget tonight's dinner companion.







Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. I could absolutely see this in my mind's eye. And I love that they devoured a nacho plate!

    Happy SITS sharefest day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, that is so you and me twenty years from now, God willing! Thanks for sharing something I can so relate to! Love you, Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet story! Stopping by from SITS. I hope you have a great Sunday! xo, KA

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely story.


    And i love how you describe yourself in your profile and your list of favorite things is pretty greaat too. That's what I love a bout SITS- a way to "meet" other bloggers that I might not have ever found on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a lovely post! I am stopping in from SITS this morning and I loved reading this. I especially LOVED the plate of nachos. I think older women are so beautiful! All of their life experiences sparkle from their eyes and their smiles : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a sweet story - and I love that they devoured the nachos! Awesome!
    ***Ally

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfectly beautiful story. Recognizing the beauty of generations is a wonderful thing! Visiting from SITS

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this story! I only hope that I can be like those women one day. Enjoying the best things in life!

    Just stopping by from SITS! Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this, I could picture it as if I was there...and Mucho Nachos?!! These are women after my own heart. Those around us can show us so much about ourselves, if we are willing to take a moment to look. Thanks for visiting my blog, I appreciate your comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could totally picture the story perfectly :) I am also craving some macho nachos now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always said I have no problem (and actually look forward to) aging. This is a really beautiful story....I could just picture every detail...those ladies sound absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete