Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Cheating

Now, I know what you are probably thinking, but I'm not going to talk about "couple cheating." Right now I'd like to ponder cheating, as in...cheating. If we're going to be completely honest here, I think I can HONESTLY say that we've all cheated in school at some point, right? From glancing at the the back of the book to sneaking a peek at your neighbors' test to flat-out paying for answers. Somehow, back then, it seemed so innocent...even exciting.

However, when you have kids of your own and learn that they cheated on something, YOU ARE SHOCKED! Am I right? "Not my kid!" Ha ha, oh that's right...

So, when my ULTRA SMART daughter (really...she loves physics, math, anything geeky) asked me if she could wrap her heartbeat monitor around my laptop, I was intrigued. Here's her deal: she is taking so many prep classes that she has no time for "fluff" classes, like P.E., so she is taking "gym class on-line" (no kidding). All she has to do is record her heartbeat while exercising, and she has done so flawlessly all semester.

But tonight was different. She had "heard" from someone that if she wrapped her monitor around a laptop, it would record a heartbeat. Please remember, this is a very smart chick, and yet, she fell for it! My daughter spent more time trying to "cheat the system," instead of just doing the work...incredible!

As I watched her, trying so hard not to laugh, it occurred to me that even the best of us try to take the easy road every now and then. I asked her if she found the heartbeat -- she opened her mouth to, I am sure spout off something sarcastic, when she realized the ridiculousness of her situation and burst out laughing. That's OK, honey...my own older sister tried to sell me an elevator pass when I entered high school.

2 comments:

  1. Too funny! Ask her if she knows that "gullible" is not listed in the dictionary.... ;)

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the quote in Breakfast Club? Kelly, "My image of you is totally blown." But I still love you anyway! <3

    ReplyDelete