Sunday, April 26, 2009

Priorities

It's amazing what a good nights' sleep can do for me. I know growing children and adolescents need a bunch of sleep every night, but a woman in her 40's (early forties, BTW)? I woke up feeling rested and refreshed...something I haven't felt in a while! My morning went well -- I even got the doggies out for a nice, long walk before church. When I got home, I started thinking about all the stuff I needed to get done and decided that since the fridge was empty I should probably go grocery shopping. My youngest daughter came along which was nice -- she usually doesn't "hang" with me.

I put some stuff that was on my "to do" list on the back burner and spent the day with my kids. Also, at some point during the day, I had a meaningful face-to-face conversation with each of them (really, no texting involved!). What I am starting to understand is this: if I don't complete everything on my list, it's ok. IT'S REALLY, REALLY OK. All the cleaning, laundry, and work will still stick around, just waiting for me. But spending time with my kids and by myself is truly priceless. And now that I think about my lovely day today, it actually started last night with a great friend at a Mexican cantina drinking yummy margaritas and listening to happy drunk women (no, not us!) karoaking to ABBA... life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Aren't you glad you weren't the drunk woman singing ABBA? Life IS good! And its always healthy to bag the list once in a while...

    ReplyDelete