Friday, June 26, 2009

The Burrito Man

About 2 miles north of where I live is the intersection of Gun Club Road and Quincy Ave. I've lived in my town home for 3 1/2 years, and 2 of those years I drove my kids to school via the aforementioned intersection. Every morning we would pass the Burrito Man -- he sells breakfast burritos on the southeast corner. Even though I don't drive the kids to school any more, every now and then I drive through the intersection during the morning hour and see the Burrito Man.

Now, I have no idea who he really is, only that every morning he is on his corner with his pick up truck, warming cart, various coolers, and a brightly-colored umbrella. A few times I've seen a woman -- the kids and I have named her Mrs. Burrito Man. We are sure he runs a popular place because the parking lot is always full of cars, bikes, and semis. The kids and I always, without fail, say, "hey, there's the Burrito Man!" He is always there, and only the most severe weather keeps him from setting up his stand.

I like to imagine that the Burrito Man enjoys what he does. He always seems to be talking and laughing with his customers. Maybe he was a corporate guy in his other life and had it with the stress; maybe he was laid off a while back and is doing this until a "real" job comes along; maybe he (and his wife) chose this lifestyle -- I have no idea.

One of my kids always makes the comment that we really should stop one of these days and get a burrito, but I don't think we ever will. Seeing the Burrito Man, day after day on the same corner, gives my life a simple stability that would be lost if we ever were to stop. If I ever drive by and he is not there, I hope the Burrito Man and his wife have put their cart away forever and have retired to the beach -- where people serve them, for a change!

1 comment:

  1. Thought of you when I passed the Burrito Man on my way to the commissary yesterday! Your writing is memorable, Burrito Mama!

    ReplyDelete