Sunday, June 21, 2009

Clapton/Winwood Concert

Let me begin by saying the music was incredible, and since I saw Clapton last (20 some years ago), his voice has only gotten a little "croakier." Steven Winwood is still amazing, and his rendition of "Georgia" gave me goosebumps. The drummer was a young guy and his talent just blew me away. They performed some of the songs you might expect, but not all. They went into a relaxed-sit-down-coffee-shop performance of bluesy music, which I'm not sure the crowd liked but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think maybe people thought it was an intermission...

But here is the really amazing part about tonight -- my friend Sarah and I were on the young side of the age group (41 & 42)! I'm not kidding about this, people! It could have been an AARP convention! We got there around 7:30, so we had half an hour to talk and "people watch." A group of 3 men and 3 women slowly walked up the stairs and sat behind us. They were all complaining about their aches, pains, and woes. At which Sarah and I silently snickered. At 8pm when the lights went out, they all lit up joints! But I'm sure it was medicinal, right?

I guess I have been out of the "concert circuit" for some time, because I don't ever remember all the flashing lights and crap that vendors walked around selling. And when did it become ok to get up a few thousand times during a 2.5 hour show? This one guy kept excusing himself past me so many times, he finally apologized and said "I didn't have dinner yet." Huh?! Then stay home and eat, guy, because you certainly aren't watching the concert!

All in all, it was a great evening, and to the grandma sitting in front of us rockin' out to "Cocaine"...YOU GO GIRL! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment