Thursday, June 25, 2009

Superstar Deaths - 06.25.09

Today two American superstars died. This morning, Farrah Fawcett lost her battle with cancer, and this afternoon Michael Jackson died. No matter if you were a fan or not, there is no doubt that both were a big part of American pop culture. Their superstar-ness affected all of us in some way or another.

Jackson's behavior and life was weird, erratic, eccentric, and bizarre. However, his music was simply unbelievable. His style, outfits, dance moves were copied by millions. His music videos on the new MTV in the early '80's were revolutionary. I admit I wasn't a huge follower of his, except for his big hits when I was in high school. I felt like he was a troubled persona that could never shake the spotlight. I am sure his music and character will live on just like Elvis.

Farrah Fawcett was known by every male, young and old, in the '70's for her famous poster (you know the one...red bathing suit, huge smile...), including my younger brother. I remember her in Charlie's Angels as the "sexy" one (I thought Kate Jackson was cool because she was the "smart" one...go figure), and honestly, thought she was a flake. When I saw her in "The Burning Bed," I was really moved by her portrayal of the abused wife.

I am not a "People" magazine follower or a watcher of Entertainment Tonight, but over the years I would hear things about Farrah -- drugs, romances, etc. She and Ryan O'Neal always seemed to be on-again-off-again. But I never, ever considered myself a fan of hers...which is why her death has got me so sad is somewhat perplexing.

As I watched a remembrance bit tonight on Farrah's life, I realized I was crying. The deep love Ryan had for her over the years -- he wanted to marry her even as sick as she was; the fact that her son was in jail and couldn't say good-bye to her; she was a beautiful and famous woman who couldn't hide from cancer; the support system she had with her girlfriends...all this tragedy together was overwhelming to hear.

I hope they both have found the peace, faith, and acceptance that they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment