Thursday, June 11, 2009

Time for Me

This has been a busy week -- the weather has been unseasonably cool, rainy, and "tornado-y," it was the girls' first week of summer break, I met up with my college roommate after 20 years, and I have been obsessively trying to get my office in order BEFORE I get down to do the actual work that I do.

The tornado event was crazy. As exciting as it was for me and the kids, it was a nightmare for others. So many roofs have had to be repaired, windows replaced, fences mended, cars fixed, etc. Everyone thought it was a freak occurrence, but we have had the exact same weather pattern every day this week! Never again will I take a tornado warning lightly. And the rain! I believe I have even seen dogs and cats falling out of the sky!

Let me tell you what I like about the girls being in school...the bus! I feel like some kind of chauffeur-on-call this week. When I explain I have to go into work, I get the "sigh-then-eye-rolling" look, followed by the "what-about-me" look. Seriously, it hasn't been all that bad, but I do feel as though I haven't had any time for me. Does that sound selfish to you? Well, it shouldn't! Everybody needs to take time for themselves, because if you don't you will hit a brick wall (just trust me on this...).

I met up with Laura, my college roommate. Which was totally fun! The evening was full of catching up and remembering the past. Even with so much time gone by, we still "clicked" (or is it "clacked?"). We are different people, yes, but that is part of the fun! Besides, not sure I would like hanging out with a clone of me...

Lastly, I've got this whole office-thing going on. Switching to the Resource Room has made such a difference in my office (can you say "space?!"), but now I am obsessed with getting EVERYTHING in exact order so that I can get down to work. My heart is telling me to organize, clean, rearrange, etc., my head is warning me that I have a very LONG list of things that I absolutely need to be working on. Sigh...

Which brings me to tonight. Matt is out, Kelly is out (she is turning into quite the social butterfly...must keep an eye on her!), so that leaves me and Emily. We have been having a delightful time together. As I am writing this, she is watching a National Geographic special on "Piranah...The River Monster!" Or something like that. Very seldom does she venture downstairs and want to hang out with her ol' mom. But she has been delightful and chatty (although I think I've heard as many "Aaron" stories as I can take...).

To wrap up the rambles of tonight, I am taking a few days to myself. Tomorrow morning I'll swing by and pick up my girlfriend Tina, and up to the mountains we'll go! We're going to just chill -- nature walks, good food, chick-flicks, adult beverages, and it wouldn't be complete without SPA TIME! Which will be so relaxing! And I'm going to need it -- in addition to our normal craziness next week, Emily starts Drivers' Ed. and I've got jury duty...oh joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment